The Harry Binswanger Letter (HBL) is a membership site and email listserv for those interested in Ayn Rand’s philosophy, Objectivism, and its application to today’s culture.
Harry Binswanger, a philosopher who was an associate and friend of Ayn Rand’s, is the author of How We Know: Epistemology on an Objectivist Foundation and is the creator and editor of The Ayn Rand Lexicon.
Dr. Binswanger and Leonard Peikoff edited audio tapes of Ayn Rand’s Workshop on Objectivist Epistemology (1969-1970) for the 200-page Appendix to Ayn Rand’s Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology.
Launched in 1998 as an email list, HBL now offers: weekly Zoom conferences, emailed posts by Harry Binswanger and selected others, a public blog, a private Facebook group, and a discussion forum for subscribers to HBL ($22 per month).
Meeting of the Minds: Every Sunday on Zoom, an hour confab starting at Noon ET. Members participate in a discussion led by Harry Binswanger. Sample topics:
- Psycho-Epistemology: “Going to the meta-level”
- “Force is anti-mind”: A Deeper Understanding
- The epistemology of the abortion issue
- The grounding of individual rights
- Strategies for changing the culture
- “Thinking in examples”
- New ideas in the esthetics of music
- History of the Objectivist movement, a personal account
Member Forum: a community-moderated forum for extended discussion and polite argumentation on any topic in Objectivism, current events, and recommendations of books and artworks. For members only (including those on the two-week free trial). 32,000 posts since September 2014.
Value for Value: a public blog, featuring articles by Harry Binswanger on a wide range of topics in philosophy and related fields. Recent posts by Harry Binswanger:
- Step aside, Plato (HB’s planned book on free will)
- Why I’m not a Republican (an analysis of the Republicans’ current state)
- A sensational new book (“Lifespan” by Harvard’s David Sinclair, on de-aging)
- Inflation: What people don’t understand (people want to spend their extra fiat money)
- A new proposal on gun-danger (“No” to preventive law, “Yes” to individual lawsuits)
- You can’t eat gold, but . . . (Gold’s spiritual value)
Emailed posts: Three days a week, Harry Binswanger emails to the entire membership his selection of about 5 Member Forum posts (including a few written by him).
Facebook Group: The emailed posts are also put on our private Facebook group: HBLetter Objectivist discussion group.
HBL is primarily for Objectivists. Full agreement with Objectivism is not required, but we do require that members have a serious interest in and respect for the work of Ayn Rand. We do not permit posts on the Member Forum or our Facebook Group that attack her or sanction those who do.